6/11/13

Allergies

A few weeks ago I went to an allergist to have my allergies tested.  I had been dealing with a lot of eczema on my face/body and was having a hard time finding answers with my OB and dermatologist.


To my surprise, my allergies have changed quite a bit since the last time I was tested back in 2006.  

My new food allergies have been the worst adjustment to all the testing.  

I have to cut out the following from my diet for a while: 
Oranges, Watermelon, Green Peas, Lima Beans, Soy, Oats, Garlic, Ginger, Mustard, Peanuts, Walnuts, Pecans, Cashews, Almonds, Chocolate, Shellfish, and several different types of fish.  

Before the testing, I read the ingredients on labels occasionally.  I thought if there weren't many ingredients, the food item was less likely to have a lot of bad junk in it.  Now - - I can't buy anything without reading the ingredients......and I am appalled by how much of these allergens I was putting in my body.  

Some thoughts on the matter:
1.  You would not believe how many things in the grocery store have SOY in it.  I feel like most everything includes soy.  Hank says we need to buy stock in soybeans, because our country uses so much of them.  
2.  I HATE not being able to eat chocolate.  I have been craving s'mores like a crazy woman.  
3.  Oats - really.  I have been a Honey Bunches of Oats girl for years.  
4.  Nuts - come on!  Pecan pie, Red Velvet Cake, Crunchy Asian Slaw, Boiled Peanuts, etc. 
5.  Garlic, oh how I miss you.  It's hard to omit such a fine ingredient from all of my cooking.  
6.  Oranges and watermelon - two of my son's favorite foods.  Such a shame that I can't enjoy those with him anymore.  

I also found out I am allergic to several products that I was using on a daily basis.  I found these items in my make-up, face and body lotion, sunscreen, hand soap, shampoo and conditioner. This is still an ongoing battle, because there are so many ingredients/chemicals in the things we touch everyday.  I just haven't had the time to check everything yet....  


For example:  I can't use "Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream" anymore (my lotion of choice for several years).  I'm now a "Eucerin Original" girl.

Eucerin Original Healing Soothing Repair Lotion

Thank you for letting me whine a little bit.  This has been quite the adjustment, and I'm praying that by omitting all of these things I will start seeing more drastic results.  

On a more positive note--

I have had to start eating more of a "whole food" diet to bypass a lot of the processed foods that contain allergens that I cannot eat.  Going out to eat has been a pain, because not all restaurants have "Allergy Menus".  In some of my restaurant research, I did find something interesting that I wanted to share.



Did you know that Panera Bread has a "Hidden Menu".  They market it as Power Foods that are "an excellent source of protein and contain limited processed carbs".  I have tried the following two.....and highly recommend them both.  

Power Breakfast Egg Bowl with Steak

Power Breakfast Egg Bowl with Steak  

Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad 
Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad


Here is an article about the Hidden Menu if you are interested:
http://mypanera.panerabread.com/articlestips/article/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu/ 

4 comments:

Casey said...

Kasi! That's some serious changes to your diet! I'm so sorry, friend! Well, it sounds like you're being forced to eat really, really healthy, which is good in the long run! PS - I love Honey Bunches of Oats and Cetaphil.....so sorry you've had to give both of those wonderful things up =(

Amber said...

Booo to allergies. Those darn things! Well HOPEFULLY these changes wont be forever. That is my hope for you. In the meantime...I bet your body loves the changes (and I think we would all be surprised at the differences in cutting out really, processed foods). Miss yall!!

Rhonda said...

So glad that you finally have some answers.....maybe not the ones that we desired but answers none the less! I pray that you start feeling much better, in the meantime we have to master making some mayo!! Love you sweet girl!
Mama

Amanda "Mandy" Gardner said...

Well this pretty much blows, but you are going to benefit so much from it. I guess its health by submission. I would die if I had to give up chocolate. That takes serious will power. When can we get a belly bump shot? Hope to see you soon!!!