I have a guest writer on my blog today. He’s my best friend, husband and father of my son. As we were talking about my blog, I convinced him to share his thoughts with you on fatherhood. Enjoy!
Henry with his daddy
Thoughts from a New Dad
I became a father one month ago today. It has been quite the learning experience. I thought I would share some perspectives.
- Henry is a gift from God; I truly believe that.
- Watching Kasi become a mother has been a beautiful and frightening experience
- Beautiful: She loves Henry and I love her for it.
- Frightening: The delivery process is the definition of scary! And the beginning of breast feeding is not far behind. Selfishly, I am really glad I do not lactate.
- It has been quite the Auburn football season to miss; thank goodness for HD…as a side note, it doesn’t look like it will be much of a basketball season to miss
- Henry is so interesting. I constantly want to know what he is thinking. I talk to him all the time. I hope he likes me.
- Henry can sleep anywhere; reminds me of his mommy
- Presently, we are decorating for Christmas. I hope Christmas is more than a day for gift giving and receiving for Henry….also I hope the lights don’t hurt his eyes
- I hope he loves his grandparents. He is blessed with four amazing ones.
- I am impressed with my brother, Nolen. He is a father to a beautiful little girl who is now 3 ½. You make it look so easy….
- I am so excited when I come home from work and get to see the little guy..but he just blankly stares at me. It will be a lot of fun when he responds with a smile…or even a jubilant “Daddy is home!”
- I am really glad Kasi gets to stay at home with Henry, but I worry about her. We both are starting new chapters as parents, but it is more of a drastic change for her. By the way, Mom, I apologize for thinking you had it easy growing up…
- I am really looking forward to having some date nights in the near future with my best friend
- Time management is a challenge. I am gaining weight faster than Kasi did when she was pregnant. Dad, you really did a better job of staying in shape than I gave you credit for growing up
- I really hope Auburn didn’t pay Cam Newton…it will be neat to tell Henry about the special Auburn team we had the year he was born
- I find myself wondering about Henry’s future a good bit: what he will be when he grows up, who he will marry, what sports will he be passionate about, what will his personality be like, what will the world be like for his kids or grandkids…
- I spoke with my Financial Advisor. He told me how much college will cost for little Henry in the fall of 2028. I almost fainted. Please send donations to Henry’s College Fund (cash or checks accepted)
- Honestly, I am overwhelmed at the prospect of being a father. There is so much I want to teach Henry, but there are so many lessons I am still learning; so many things I am still trying to sort out myself. I usually think of teachers as experts…I am no expert.
- Hank
I'm going to attempt to take a picture of Henry every month beside this giraffe so you can see how much he is growing. Here he is at 1 month: 9 pounds and 21 inches long. Quite the growth spurt from his birth weight (7 lb 12 oz) and length (19 1/2 in).
Henry with his mommy
6 comments:
That was the sweetest!
LOVE this post! I want to hear the number your financial advisor threw out there, Hank....that makes me want to curl up into the fetal position as obviously our kids will be going to college even later than Henry!
Also, call us for a free sitter when you guys want a date night. We would love to watch Henry (and get some good experience =) whenever ya'll need a night out. Seriously! Call us!
Papa Hank has me crying! Lord help me I can't help it.
Great guest post Hank- what an awesome dad you are!! We can't wait to meet Henry soon :)
You are too funny, Hank! This was a really great idea. Getting the father's perspective is always great! Can't wait to see you guys on Thursday.
Casey - I see your question above. Below are the estimates I was quoted for college in year 2028:
- For public in-state = 250K
- For public out-of-state = 500K
To put it in perspective, if you save $500 / month from birth until age 18 and get a generous 10% interest on money saved, you will have about $275K. That is for one kid...
- Hank
Post a Comment