10/7/10

Holey Moley

Dear Big Brother,

Today I went to the dermatologist to get a full-body mole check.  I've done this several times before....and every time he has found multiple moles that ended up being dysplastic nevi.  He says that these types of moles develop into melanoma if left untreated.  I unfortunately have had 13 dysplastic nevi removed, and my doctor is calling my condition dysplastic nevus syndrome.  I had to get another biopsy today and he is "watching" five others.  Not fun, but I'm so thankful he's finding these "pre-melanoma" moles before they turn into melanoma!

Another reason why this is so serious is because our grandfather and mother have had melanoma.  Supposedly this family history puts us at a much higher risk for developing this form of cancer!  

Since you have not been to the dermatologist, my goal for this letter is to guilt you into going.  Maybe if everyone else knows you need to go to the dermatologist.... they will bug you into going as well!    I have no shame in what I'm doing - because I love you and want you to get a clean bill of health.  Melanoma is a deadly form of skin cancer, but is easily treatable if caught early.

So do this for yourself and all your family.  You'll thank me one day.  :)

Love,
Your Little Sees-ter

Me and my Favorite Big Brother (only big brother, technically)  


P.S. - If anyone else in the blogging world is reading this------------hopefully this will get your attention as well!  Go to the dermatologist!

1 comment:

Casey said...

I HATE going, but my dad has had melanoma taken off as well, so I go because I need to. They ALWAYS cut something off, but that's ok!