9/18/12

Planes, Trains & Automobiles {plus a Ferry}

Over the weekend, my high school friends and I took a trip to New York to visit the newest mommy of our group.  Dayoung - my extremely passionate, super smart and always spunky friend - gave birth to Adelyn Oh on July 4, 2012.  She has a head full of hair and is very easy going.  I officially can't remember much about the first 2 months of Henry's life, so I really enjoyed spending time with this little one.


We flew into LaGuardia Airport on Thursday morning and Danny, Day's husband, picked us up and drove us upstate where they live in Fort Montgomery.  We couldn't get enough of sweet Adelyn when we got there.  The Korean word for "aunt" is Emo (ee-mo) and we all took the name proudly!

Emo Renee

Emo Cheryl

Emo Kasi


Emo Kacee

After settling in, Day and Danny took us to Bear Mountain to watch the sunset.




The next day we drove to West Point for a tour.  Danny is a professor at West Point....and is working on his doctorate.  Dayoung definitely married someone just as ambitious as her!  Adelyn has a good chance of becoming the first woman President of the United States!  =)


Trophies of War were everywhere!


From West Point, we took a ferry across the Hudson River to catch the train to Grand Central Station in New York City.  Danny took the remainder of the day off to watch Adelyn, so we could have a few hours of fun in NYC.




Train ride to NYC - Instagram picture

When we arrived in New York City, we went straight to the 9/11 Memorial.  I was actually blown away at the simplicity of the memorial, but the impact that it had on my emotions!  It was definitely the highlight of the trip to the city. 

This is where the north tower stood. 

South tower



This is where I lost it.....

The Survivor Tree - its stump was found in the rubble of Ground Zero after the towers fell.  It was nursed back to health in a nearby park and was returned to the World Trade Center site in Dec. 2010.  

Our reflection in the window looking into the Memorial Museum that is still under construction.  

The construction of the new World Trade Center is underway.  Building 1, The Freedom Tower, is pictured below.  When finished, it will be the tallest building in the United States.  

We also walked through Times Square, Central Park and Rockefeller Center.  This was Kacee's first time to the city, so we hit all of the must-see attractions.  Sadly, there are so many things to see--it was hard to decide what to do with our limited time! 





Our last full day in New York was spent enjoying the great outdoors.  We drove to Milton, NY to go apple picking.  

On the way, we stopped at an overlook to view the West Point Prep School and the West Point Military Academy.  

After a hot cup of cider and an apple flavored donut........I thought I was in heaven.  



Picturesque day.







After the apple picking, we drove even further north to the "Walkway Over The Hudson" in Poughkeepsie, NY.

It felt like we were walking in the clouds!

Our view as we were walking.


On the way back to their house, we swung by the West Point campus again to see the Cadet Chapel.  While inside the chapel, I felt a huge pride for my country and a slap in the face for not praying for our soldiers more often.  

The single candle you see is always lit, if there is any American soldier deployed overseas - no matter what branch.



Before we left on Sunday morning, we snapped a quick picture with Adelyn.  I told Dayoung, she would have to put this picture in Adelyn's nursery so that she will always remember the crazy aunts that adore her! 

I love these girls so much and feel blessed to call them my friends!  

Thank you Dayoung and Danny for an amazing trip!  

4 comments:

The Dickersons said...

It was a weekend to remember and I can't wait to see what the next chapter of our life will bring.

Day said...

Ms. Domnity -- I noticed that you cropped "Angry Renee" out of the picture of me as the tour guide. I protest! The picture is not complete without Angry Renee!! Haha.. What a fun weekend!

Rhonda said...

Beautiful pictures!! Looks like you all had a great time!! Dayoung's baby girl is beautiful!! Maybe I will get to meet her one day!! :)

Amber said...

Great pictures!! Looks like you had so much fun!! Precious baby girl!!