A few years ago (08/2008), MB and I went for a boat ride one Saturday morning. On the way back to her house we spotted a bird flapping in the water. As we passed it I was shocked that it was a hawk, and I convinced her to go back so we could try to save it. The bird was desperate to get out of the water. It even started swimming toward the boat as we approached it. So.....I put a life jacket in the water and (after several attempts) the hawk jumped on it.
Luckily, the bird was so exhausted it let me lift it out of the water and we cautiously drove back to the Lamberth's house. MB spoke to the game warden in our area and he agreed to come pick up the bird and take it to the Auburn University Rapture Center. While we were waiting for the game warden to arrive, we put the bird in a large container and covered it with towels. I then put the bird in my car and was going to meet the game warden at the neighborhood's guard house. To my surprise, when I cranked the car that bird jumped right out of that container and scared me to death! I slammed the door and ran back inside the house and told MB to call the game warden to come get this crazy bird out of my car!
The bird was so sweet and innocent when it thought it was going to die! Yikes - - that bird was scary when it got its second wind! Look at its talons! (Not to mention the silly bird pooped all over my dash board!)
We even got our story published in the local LAKE Magazine.
My purpose for this post was to share with the world how proud I am that we decided to rescue this animal. When the hawk was taken to AU, they told us it had a head injury and would live the rest of its days at the Rapture Center. Not only is this bird now in the hands of good Auburn folks :) ......it is also being used to educate children! MB recently met one of Auburn's naturalists through a Russell Lands event, and found out that she takes our bird to schools around the area! She helps children learn about birds of prey and their "habitats, conservation and ecology."
Isn't that exciting! I, a former teacher, couldn't be happier with this news! Children are getting to learn about raptors because of our bravery! :)
Here is a video of a Auburn naturalist showing our bird to a group of kids in an Alex City elementary school. If you watch the whole video, you'll notice that her story on how the bird got to Auburn doesn't match up with mine.....but I was there and she wasn't. :)
5 comments:
You are such a animal rescuer. I am so proud to be your friend. Remember when we were at Lake Martin and you rescued the bird? I adore you. So much braver than I ever could be!
That is my girl!! She has always loved animals! That is so exciting to know that Auburn is using your bird!! I am proud of you!
Mama
That's so cool!
I can't believe she did not tell about the rescue! That would have been exciting for the kids to hear about.......Nice to see the bird is healthy and has a good home.
I showed Campbell the pics and the movie and she has been talking about it ever since. I couldn't get her to sleep last night b/c she was asking me 20 questions about the hawk. She wants to go and see it now! :)
Post a Comment